Friday 30 November 2012

NOTE TO SELF



My hubby has been asking for a whiteboard the last few weeks so we can keep track of all the things that are going on and when bills are due! I suppose it's a bit of a house staple... I'm surprised it's taken us this long to get one. But, naturally, I could find any that I liked. So here is what I did:



Materials: A frame that you like, a cheap whiteboard, tin snips, masking tape and something to attach it to the wall. I used trusty 3M velcro strips.
Optional: paint, paintbrush artwork, tape, double sided tape and magnets.

1. Pull apart your whiteboard. It should (some whiteboards may be different) have a thin whiteboard aluminum sheet with a thick cardboard backing.



2. Turn the sheet over and mark out the shape of your frame. My frame used to be a mirror so I traced around that.

3. Use the tin snips the cut out the shape.

4. Do the same with the cardboard backing.

5. Make sure it fits snugly in your frame.

6. If you don't like the colour of your frame, paint it. You may or may not have noticed that I have a slight obsession with mint at the moment... So I painted my gold frame mint.



7. Once your paint is dry, put the whiteboard and backing into your frame and secure it. I used masking tape.

8. My little $12 whiteboard came with plain clear magnets and I wanted to make them a bit more special. So I printed out the animal faces that I used on my DIY Christmas Decorations. I put clear tape over top so they would be a little waterproof and double sided tape on the back. Then I stuck them to the magnets. Easy!

9. I also painted a little "note to self" up the top in the same colour that I painted the frame.

10. Apply the 3M strips, hooks or string.

11. Fasten it to the wall.



We put ours in the kitchen so we'll see it all the time... We spend a lot of time in there! Haha. Happy crafting :)

15 comments:

  1. You my dear are so incredibly crafty!!!
    Love this!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Far better than regular whiteboard! And everyone can customize it to their liking! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a clever idea! I'm definitely going to do this soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want those magnets!!! so clever you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would honestly never have thought that a whiteboard could be so pretty. You've definitely got me changing my mind... A great DIY!

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for this awesome post! Im looking to do the same thing with an old mirror as well. Can you tell us how you popped out the mirror and slid in the white board? Mirrors aren't like frames and I dont want to disassemble the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What brand and color paint?? So clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so inspiring and creative! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO pretty! Could you please tell me where you got the frame? I absolutely love the shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually picked it up from an opshop! You might have to hunt around to find one. It was a mirror originally.

      Delete
  10. A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.
    smartkapp store

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sell those frames at Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post, you give the clear idea of the topic and I subscribed your blog, I have some links to share here Photopia Director Crack

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for commenting! -Tori xx